Searching...
Thursday, June 21, 2007
11:36 AM

February Baby Sweater

Coming to you live from Portland with the first of two miniature EZ garments. There has been a whole lotta crazy surrounding this project - I had to dig into my archives to review its evolution from skein to sweater. Who knew something so tiny could brew for so long?

February Baby Sweater

Pattern: February Baby Sweater, aka Baby Sweater on 2 Needles
Source: Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth Zimmermann
Yarn: Sundara Yarn Worsted Merino Semi-Solid
Color: Pine over Yellow
Amount: 137g/240 yards worsted weight
Needles: US 8/5mm Addi Turbos
Buttons: marbled plastic, 5 purchased from M&J Trimming in midtown

Buttons!

I started the first version of this sweater last Fall but ran out of yarn sometime in October. Sundara gave me a generous fill-up in December, and I chose to restart the project on bigger needles (I was using US 6's) in the new, slightly different dye lot. (There was a little snafu on the skein winder at this point) By February, I had two of these little things on my needles (fitting month for this, no?) and was on my way. I ended up finishing the knitting in March, showing you the almost finished item in May and finally got around to buying buttons and sewing them on last week. How's that for long winded?

February Baby Sweater/Baby Sweater on 2 Needles (EZ)

Mods: I modified the 'virtually seamless' pattern into a completely seamless pattern using circular needles (rather than the suggested straights) thusly: Once you've reached the divide for the armholes, work the sleeves first from the top down, casting on underarm stitches and joining sleeves into the round (EZ has you work them flat). After sleeve knitting, begin again working the body from where you left it, picking up underarm stitches from the sleeve tubes when you get to them (rather than casting on underarm stitches on the body). No seams in the end (not even the tiny little underarm openings)! Other than that, everything was by the book.

Add this one to the ever-growing ranks of this wonderful pattern. I never tire seeing this little number popping up all over our knitting blog landscape.

Some Baby Things

Another EZ sweater is comin' atcha in a couple of days. For now, it's back to coffee and the dog on this beautiful summery day in PDX.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Back to top!