Searching...
Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The Shetland Triangle

the slough of vacation knits continue to reveal themselves. This piece was already gifted and can now be shown publicly. You know the pattern, I've seen them all over. I love it though.

Shetland Triangle 2

Pattern: "Shetland Triangle" by Evelyn A. Clark
Source: Wrap Style (Interweave Press)
Materials: Sundara Yarn Aran Silky Merino hand-dyed 'Burgundy over Brown'(2 hanks)
Needles: US 9 KnitPicks Options (my first time)

Start Date: 19 August 2006
Completion Date: 3 September 2006

Shetland Triangle 3

Modifications: None really, other than the obvious subbing of an aran weight for lace weight (one of my favorite moves). I used the shawl calculator here (sidebar) to figure out just how many repeats were possible with what i had. I scrapped the last patterned row (and obligatory purl row) before the bind off to get a more subtle scalloping along the edge. For this one, I liked that look better.

Shetland Triangle 5


This particular lace pattern is ridiculously simple to follow, but I couldn't help being drawn to its curvilinear quality. When it comes to lace, I am much more of a fan of organic, curvilinear, and sinuous (Madli, Print-o-the-Wave, etc) rather than more geometric pattern motifs (DFS, Faroese, most things in A Gathering of Lace, etc.) Of course I appreciate all sorts of lace patterns, but I find myself drawn to certain styles over others. With the Shetland Triangle, I love how the leaves are formed by undulating rows converging together towards a center point and then bending outward again with yos.

Shetland Triangle 1 Shetland Triangle 4 Shetland Triangle 6 Shetland Triangle 8

You can knit this thing on auto-pilot, and add as many repeats as you want (I love when a pattern works out like that). Use any yarn, any weight, and get something that is preferable to you, regardless of how many you've seen before.

Shetland Triangle 7

And I can't put this post up without saying a short word about the yarn: this is definitely the most luxurious yarn that has ever graced my needles. When it was over, I was desperate for more, sad that it was done, and excited that it happened. Sounds like a torrid affair, doesn't it. The color trumps everything - no matter how hard I tried, the pictures cant explain to you the depth and saturation. Hand-dyed by an artist, its no wonder it was so mesmurizing throughout. Not to mention how it feels... (butter)

There's still one more shawl I have yet to show you, but I think I'll make you wait a little longer for it, since I've got very little knitting going on presently.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Back to top!