Searching...
Sunday, January 4, 2009
12:18 PM

Chunky Merino Throw

As I said before, it's kinda like the perfect project for people who love swatching, since that's basically what it is. Introducing my Lace Swatch on Steroids.

Merino Chunky Throw

Pattern: Lacy Chunky Throw by Wenlan Chia
Source: Classic Elite WebLetter #63
Materials: Twinkle "Soft Chunky"; 7 skeins in "Mink"
Needles: 42" Circulars in size US 17 (Broomsticks!)
Dimensions: appox. 54" x 40"

Started: November 2008
Finished: December 2008

Merino Chunky Throw

I just realized that, with the exception of a few last minute Christmas hats, this beast rounds out my finished work for 2008. And let me take this opportunity to wish you all a happy new year - I think 2009 is going to be a good one.

Merino Chunky Throw

This was intended to be a quick knit to beef up the winter home lineup, since it's been a cold one this year (which I love!) - and it was relatively quick, although not as quick as I had planned because knitting with broomsticks is a bit hard on the hands after a while. Speaking of broomsticks, the pattern calls for size 19 circulars, which I don't have, so I just used my 17's. I figured I'd knit a bit looser anyway, given the circumstances with this gigantic yarn.

Merino Chunky Throw

I had one extra skein of yarn than the pattern required (I had 7, the pattern requests 6), so I cast on 80 stitchess rather than the 76 called for. With a few added stitches, an extra skein and slightly smaller needles, my finished blanket came out just slightly bigger than the projected dimensions. Big enough to get under comfortably, but not huge - which is a good thing, cause it's on the heavier side, despite the very open lacework (yarn overs every other stitch, every row).

Merino Chunky Throw

I really love the color - it's almost silvery in the way it catches light. The yarn is super bulky, short stapled, and has a low-twist which means it fuzzes a lot.... but it's so soft that I just didn't even care. Yarn this thick becomes truly sculptural, which I enjoy profusely, so all in all, I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Merino Chunky Throw

The pattern is free, so if you happen to have a bunch of this yarn lying around, it could be just the thing. I think blankets and throws rather than garments are better suited to super-bulky yarns personally, but I'm easily suffocated in excessively heavy sweaters.

Merino Chunky Throw

I hope you're all recovering well from the holiday period. I'm taking a much needed respite in chilly Portland, OR this week and reorganizing my life after a crazy couple of months. Enjoy the new year we've been given and as always, keep knitting!

PS Just cause I know some of you will be wondering - the sweater in the photos isn't handknit. It's just a reeeaally good thrift store find! Huzzah!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Back to top!