Searching...
Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Zeebee!

For some reason I can't resist tacking an exclamation mark onto this pattern's name, no matter how hard I try. I finished this hat a little while ago but didn't have a chance to take pictures until this weekend. This is an awesome, quick knit that comes with a strong BT recommendation.

Zeebee!

Pattern: Zeebee(!) by Schmeebot
Size: 22" for my large 24.25" head
Materials: Rowan Yorkshire Tweed Aran in 'Wild Plum' (#410) held double
Amount: Exactly 100g (1 ball)
Needles: US 11 bamboo circulars

Started: 14 May 2007
Finished: 19 May 2007

Zeebee!

The pattern is interactive - other than suggesting worsted to bulky weight yarn, you plug in your own gauge numbers and target measurements (including hat length, thank you!) and the pattern generates itself. Props go to the designer for also including top-notch diagrams. I love these little things.

The hat is worked side-to-side in four main panels using short rows. The best part? You aren't required to knit the wraps like you do on a sock heel - which was such a nice little bonus. Especially since I knit 80% of this hat in the dark (I was photographing a production last week and smuggled my knitting into the job.)

The following photo gives you a nice view of the shaping at the top where all the short rows come together.

Zeebee Crown

There's a funny story behind this hat. About a year and a half ago I found a garter stitch baby hat in a book by Melanie Falick (it's pictured on the cover). The hat was shaped with short rows and had a very interesting construction. I kept the pattern around for months with good intentions on translating it for an adult head. When I randomly stumbled across the Zeebee(!) pattern, I read that its inception occurred in much the same way. Someone else had done the work, wouldn't I would be daft not to drop everything and knit this immediately?

Purple Garter

It goes without saying that I love this yarn and even more this color. I'm happy I can wear it around on my head now in all its discontinued glory.

A few final notes of interest: because the hat is worked sideways it is super stretchy vertically but not so much horizontally, quite the opposite of the traditional hat pattern. I would recommend leaving just a tad more ease than you would normally with a traditional hat pattern. The language in the pattern can be a bit tricky, but the overall design becomes pretty intuitive pretty quickly, so I think it's fine.

I hope everyone enjoyed the long weekend. I started a new sweater.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Back to top!