Searching...
Friday, March 30, 2007

New Yarns

Sweater update: I'm 6 inches into the yoke and still going strong (total yoke depth is 10"). I'm hoping to get all the knitting done this weekend (with the exception of the collar/buttonbands which happen after steeking and blocking). In the mean time, I've been cleaning up on all kinds of online knitting sales and some new yarns have found their way to my doorstep in the last week.

The first yarn is a luxury fiber, in all aspects (this one is not on sale anywhere, unfortunately). You definitely won't find a sweaters-worth of this stuff lying around in my apartment - just two humble skeins for me to photograph, pet, and stare at.

Yarn Portrait: Shokay Yak Down

This is Shokay's Pure Yak Down. As in 100% yak. A worsted weight that you surely must feel to believe - the thing that really got me about this stuff, though, was the color. I'm a sucker for those deep cranberry burgundy crimsons. I'm not sure how this was dyed, but its got all kinds of depth and subtle variation going on. This is really the jewel of my stash!

Next up we have a dk weight blend of extrafine merino, alpaca and silk from Queensland. This is the 'Uruguay DK' in a pale shade of mint (#10).

Queensland Uruguay DK
see the cake here

I've been getting the urge for some lace knitting and this is my weapon of choice for the next project. As far as patterns go, I'm still on the prowl but have a few ideas brewing. We'll see what happens.

And speaking of lace, I picked up this stuff last week too. I had put in an order for some much-needed knitting supplies from KnitPicks (this included a fill up of Swish to finish this) and was just a few bucks shy of the free-shipping minimum price. Rather than paying 5 bucks for shipping, I opted to pay 4 for 880 yards of laceweight merino. Seemed like an easy decision to me.

Yarn Portrait: KP Merino Lace

This is KnitPicks 'Shadow' (100% merino laceweight) in the Vineyard shade. I really liked the color and was surprised to find that I liked it even more in person (this rarely happens when I buy online). Who knows what this will be, probably just a beautiful paperweight for a while, but I like yarn so things are good.

I'm going to try my darnedest to close in on the Aran Cardigan this weekend - it has been such an enjoyable process so far, I'm almost sad that the end is now in sight. Good thing I have another bag of Skye Tweed waiting for me in case of sudden tweed-sweater withdrawal...

Happy weekend knitting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Back to top!