Searching...
Sunday, March 4, 2007

Carolyn's Alpine Lace

The Alpine Lace shawl is still on my needles. I am working on the 49th repeat of the center pattern ... and have 39 inches completed. I confess to being a bit surprised. After all, I added one double diamond to the width of the shawl, and it blocks out quite nicely to 18 inches. How was I to know that it would take 72 repeats, instead of 37, to get a good length? (I know ... swatching. But why swatch for length AND width, when the shawl can be the length swatch?)

The color variation is nice ... long enough that it doesn't obscure the pattern, subtle enough that it looks like I left the shawl in the sun too long, and the folds got bleached, and irregular enough that when I join the second ball, I only have to worry about getting the right color (and it's going to be the deep blue) from the second ball, and not match up yardage until the next fade-in.

Needles - 2 US, 2.75 mm
Yarn - Graceful 100% wool), from The Yarn Place - approx 85 grams; 1600 yards (my estimations on what I'll use for a 6 ft scarf). Color - Blueberry

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Back to top!